Thursday, September 26, 2013

Triptych: Here In Duckburg


"And Not A Single Duck Was Given That Day" by Dan Hipp


"Zombie Scrooge", artist unknown *


"Dagobert Duck, alias Scrooge McDuck" by Dirk Erik Schulz

* One of the more aggravating things about Photobucket was that, although I would always tag images with their source URLs without fail, the site would sometimes "forget" the tag, leaving me with no way of knowing where the picture originated from. That's unfortunately the case here. If anyone has a source on this image, please by all means let me know!

So last week I finished the HD remastered version of DuckTales, and man, let me tell you: that is one serious nostalgia trip. Also, somehow, despite being literally the exact same game in terms of level design and controls, it was somehow a lot easier than I remembered DuckTales for the NES being. For comparison's sake, I fired up an emulator and played, or tried to play, through the first few levels of the game. Sure enough, it was considerably more difficult.

I wonder why that is. Like I said, the HD version of the game offers the same controls and the same level, with the same monster placement and so forth. The new version does provide infinite lives, but I think I only died maybe half a dozen times from start to finish anyway, so I don't think that's part of it. Maybe Capcom rejiggered the control sensitivity somewhat, or made some other behind-the-scenes modifications. I don't know. All I can say is that if you get a chance to play DuckTales Remastered HD, you should absolutely do so. It was a great game back in the day and it's a great game now.

No comments:

Post a Comment