Thursday, June 6, 2013

A Public Service Announcement

As you may have heard, Matt Smith is leaving Doctor Who as of the Christmas special (set to air, as is tradition, on December 25th).  Bookies are already placing odds on who will be cast to replace him, with Russell Tovey (George the werewolf from the BBC's Being Human series), Rupert Grint (finally a ginger!) and Rory Kinnear (Bill Tanner from the last couple of Bond movies as well as a brilliant turn as Prime Minister on an episode of Black Mirror) leading the pack.  While any of these would, I'm sure, amount to excellent Doctors, almost all of the names mentioned thus far lack a certain... Doctor-y panache. 

Then I came across a letter that Richard Ayoade posted on his Facebook wall to the BBC this morning:

Dear BBC,
I am writing to inform you that I am available to take over immediately as the next Doctor. I’ll even bring my own sonic screwdriver (mine actually works).
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely,
Maurice Moss.
As soon as I started to consider the possibility of Ayoade being cast as the 12th Doctor, I realized that I can't think of a better choice.  He has the natural oddness, the sense of humour, the sarcasm and the intelligence to pull off an absolute amazing Doctor. 

So I ask you - take a look at the below petition and sign your name to it if you feel the same way. 



No comments:

Post a Comment